Investigations can range widely—from whistle blower allegations, government inquiries and subpoenas, to corporate due diligence, potential Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”) violations, and financial fraud. Often, the only consistent requirements across investigations are short time frames and an urgent need to keep sensitive data secure. Add in any number of common variables, such as foreign and local data privacy laws to high data volumes, and corporations face significant challenges executing internal investigations in a defensible manner.
FTI Investigate delivers rapid results
No matter the type, geography or scale of the investigation, FTI delivers right-sized solutions comprising expert forensic investigators and leading e-discovery technology. With the ability to deploy in a matter of hours, our experts enable you to increase efficiency, reduce costs and speed your understanding of the core issues surrounding the investigation, even while early investigative interviews are taking place. We offer advanced technology to collect, process and review massive amounts of documents without having to transfer the electronically stored information (ESI) off site to another jurisdiction.
- Quickly understand the facts of the case
- Securely control sensitive data
- Defensibly preserve, collect and review globally in compliance with local data privacy laws
- Backed by the trusted global leader in data preservation, restoration and analysis
Mobile offering to defensibly and securely meet global needs
FTI Investigate professionals quickly deploy anywhere in the world to uncover key facts behind the investigation. Equipped with FTI’s market leading e-discovery software, FTI experts can conduct a complete investigation, from collection through analysis and production, on-site at a company location. This provides clients with control over their most sensitive data, and also helps ensure a defensible process in compliance with strict data privacy requirements.
Clients benefit from FTI’s extensive experience managing global matters, including in-country cultural awareness, discrete processes that do not interrupt the regular course of business and multi-lingual capabilities. In addition, our forensic teams have the credentials and experience to testify to the court about the methods used for collection.
Best of breed tools for cost containment
Successful investigations enable the quick collection and review of relevant information so that clients can act upon that data. To facilitate this, FTI utilises its market-leading technology to enable:
- Processing: Shrink data sets by eliminating duplicates and non-relevant data, thereby getting to relevant data faster and reducing overall cost.
- Rapid understanding of data: The advanced search capabilities of Ringtail e-discovery software include visual analytics so that reviewers can more rapidly understand the data. Legal teams can visualise document relationships both pre- and post-assignment creation to jump-start investigations as well as subsequent phases of review.
- Hot documents: Adding to the efficiency of Ringtail, “known hot documents” can be seeded into review assignments and Ringtail will cluster those documents with conceptually similar documents that have yet to be reviewed. This helps reviewers find key documents faster.
- Scalability: Ringtail is massively scalable and can support matters ranging from a few gigabytes (GBs) to multiple terabytes (TBs) of data.
Trusted global leaders in discovery, forensics and investigations
FTI Investigate is tailored to the specific client needs of each matter. Whether a small internal investigation, or a large-scale, multi-country and multi-terabyte matter that may result in litigation, FTI offers a depth of experience in delivering tangible results for clients. Our professionals, including forensic accountants, former SEC professionals, corporate investigation specialists and technology and e-discovery experts, are industry leaders experienced in many of the largest e-discovery matters of the past decade. In addition to publishing regular white papers, industry articles and books, including The ESI Handbook: Sources, Technology and Process, FTI professionals are actively involved with thought leader groups such as The Sedona Conference, EDRM and the e-Disclosure Information Project.
With more than 3,400 employees located in most major business centers in the world, we work closely with clients every day to anticipate, illuminate, and overcome complex business challenges in areas such as investigations, litigation, mergers and acquisitions, regulatory issues, reputation management and restructuring.
IP Theft & Trade Secrets
When employees with access to sensitive or proprietary information leave a company, how can you be sure they did not take that information with them? And, how can you move quickly enough to assess the damage before the data ends up in the hands of the competition?
Data forensic services from FTI Technology enable corporations to quickly evaluate and act upon potential IP or trade secret theft by current and former employees. Leveraging state-of-the-art forensic technology and methodologies, our forensic experts have years of experience finding evidence from traditional sources, such as computer hard drives or company networks, to emerging technology such as social media and cloud repositories.
FTI experts have helped corporations detect and act upon intelligence for a wide range of matters, including:
- Employee theft of intellectual property such as formulas, source code, product development information, and customer or price lists
- Employee breach of fiduciary duty or collusion, such as creating competing businesses while still employed with current company
- Unfair dismissal suits
- Use of information obtained while the employee was working for a prior employer
- The unauthorized transmission or sale of company information to outside sources via email or text messaging
- Regular data security audits to ensure data protection, including employee departure cases
- Identification of unauthorized use or access of company resources
With speed and discretion, FTI Technology partners with counsel and clients to develop a strategic, systematic and economic approach to investigating the myriad of potential data sources. Often within 24 hours, the forensic team can assess the actions of the individual(s) and report on case intelligence. This includes the common threats of data removal, wiping, or deletion, as well as identification of unusual activity, such as unexplained gaps in computer usage, Internet browsing history, use of USB/thumb drives, and file access activities. Organizations can quickly understand and act upon the matter to secure a temporary restraining order, or prepare to implement other actions as appropriate.
- Quickly understand the facts of the case
- Minimize or eliminate damage through actionable evidence
- Forensically sound collections from multiple sources, including social media
- Backed by the trusted global leader in data forensics
- Seamless integration with other experts across the global practice areas of FTI Consulting
As a global company, FTI forensic professionals can quickly deploy from our offices across the world to uncover key facts behind the IP theft or trade secrets investigation. Clients benefit from our extensive experience managing global matters, including adherence to foreign data privacy laws, in-country cultural awareness, discrete processes that do not interrupt the regular course of business and multi-lingual capabilities.
FTI forensic professionals utilize defensible tools and methodologies to ensure the investigation and evidence is forensically sound. In addition, FTI can develop courtroom materials that clearly explain the forensic evidence and methodology, such as affidavits, file activity diagrams, exhibits, as well as expert testimony.
Trusted Global Leaders in Forensics and Investigations
FTI forensic services are tailored to the specific client needs of each matter. Whether a small internal investigation, or a large global matter that may result in litigation, FTI offers a depth of experience in delivering tangible results for clients. In addition to publishing regular whitepapers, industry articles and books, FTI professionals are actively involved with thought leader groups such as The Sedona Conference, EDRM and the e-Disclosure Information Project.
With more than 3,800 employees located in most major business centers in the world, FTI Consulting works closely with clients every day to anticipate, illuminate, and overcome complex business challenges in areas such as investigations, litigation, mergers and acquisitions, regulatory issues, reputation management and restructuring.