NEW YORK, NY June 10, 2008 – FTI Consulting, Inc. (NYSE:FCN), the global business advisory firm dedicated to helping organizations protect and enhance their enterprise value, today announced that is has signed a merger agreement to acquire Attenex Corporation, a leading eDiscovery software provider. The total purchase price for the transaction is approximately $88 million in cash and is expected to close in the third quarter of 2008 after expiration of the HSR waiting period. After amortization of intangibles, the acquisition is expected to be neutral to FTI’s earnings per share in 2008 and accretive in 2009. Attenex had revenue of approximately $25 million in 2007.
Founded in 2001 in Seattle, Washington, Attenex is a globally-recognized leader in the eDiscovery marketplace. Its innovative enterprise class Attenex Patterns® eDiscovery software automates data processing and provides powerful visualization tools for quickly analyzing massive amounts of electronically stored information (ESI). Attenex will be integrated into the FTI Technology segment. Kathryn Hardie, JR Jesson, Mike Kinnaman and Joe White will join FTI as senior managing directors in the Company’s Technology segment.
“We are very pleased to announce this important acquisition for FTI and its Technology segment. In Attenex, we add a market leader with a proven track record in the development and deployment of integrated enterprise class solutions for the eDiscovery market,” said Jack Dunn FTI’s president and chief executive officer. “As with our watershed acquisition of Ringtail, the purchase of Attenex coupled with our newly forged strategic partnership with Endeca Technologies, Inc., also announced today, underscores our commitment to being the market leader in this rapidly growing business. Most importantly, these two steps complete our desire to create the largest, most robust eDiscovery company – one that has visionary R&D, proprietary state of the art software, global distribution and fulfillment, and the leadership to continue rapid growth and to anticipate evolving client needs.”
“The combination of FTI and Attenex joins two of the most well respected brands in the industry and creates the most robust set of eDiscovery capabilities within a single organization,” said David Remnitz, leader of the FTI Technology segment. “This transaction extends our range of proprietary software technologies, enhances our position within the rapidly growing corporate market for eDiscovery products and services, and accelerates the growth and expands the contribution of our scalable software licensing and processing revenues.”
FTI expects that the acquisition of Attenex will bring with it a number of strategic advantages including:
- Enhanced positioning in the eDiscovery marketplace: Widely recognized by corporations and law firms as leading eDiscovery software providers, both companies are well-established players with distinguished brands and proven track records. Attenex and FTI are two of the market’s top five eDiscovery software vendors, according to the 2007 Socha-Gelbmann Electronic Discovery Survey. Through this acquisition, FTI now owns key proprietary technology for each crucial step of the Electronic Discovery Reference Model (EDRM), providing clients with a single source, industry leading solution.
- Increased value to customers through a broader intellectual property portfolio: Attenex software is based on 14 issued and 12 filed U.S. Patents and 3 issued and 26 filed International Patents. When added to FTI’s already robust ownership of key intellectual property, the acquisition will accelerate FTI’s strategy of owning significant software-based intellectual property within the eDiscovery supply chain.
- Broader go-to-market opportunities: Attenex currently serves as the on-premises standard for major companies and maintains a base of over 100 total on-demand corporate customers. In addition to participation in the enterprise in-house solutions community, the company maintains an industry-leading partnership program, Attenex Advantage™, which includes twenty-three of the leading eDiscovery service providers across the globe. Like the Ringtail® eDiscovery platform offered by FTI, Attenex Patterns is one of the few products on the market today that can be offered both as a hosted solution (on-demand) or installed behind a firm’s firewall (on-premises). As a result, the acquisition will accelerate FTI’s ability to directly address the developing needs of the corporate marketplace, as corporate customers increasingly want both an on-premises solution to save time and money and the flexibility to use the same technology through a hosting partner for critical events.
- Acceleration of FTI’s indirect sales channel development and new cross selling for FTI and Attenex partners: The 23 Attenex Advantage partners and FTI’s business partners will benefit from the combination and will be able to expand upon market resale of both the Attenex and Ringtail software platforms and supporting modules including Attenex Patterns Workbench™, Ringtail A2R™ Connector, Ringtail QuickCull® and Tiff-on-the-Fly™.
- Strengthening and Amplifying Research & Development capabilities: Attenex not only brings an exceptional R&D staff, its location in the Pacific Northwest will increase FTI’s access to engineering talent in one of the largest software development markets in the country.
- Close integration between FTI and Attenex technologies: Over the last four years, FTI and Attenex have collaborated on the development of industry leading solutions including the recently announced the Ringtail A2R Connector software to move data between Ringtail and Attenex Patterns in 2007. Both firms recently began offering ReviewPWR™, a combination of Attenex Patterns and Ringtail for on-premise use by corporations and law firms, which FTI will continue to market.
“By combining Attenex with FTI, we bring to our clients and major companies around the world the preeminent eDiscovery platform – one with unparalleled intellectual property and intellectual capital comprising over 570 professionals world wide.” said Joe White, Executive Vice President, Attenex Corporation.
About FTI Consulting
FTI Consulting, Inc. is a global business advisory firm dedicated to helping organizations protect and enhance enterprise value in an increasingly complex legal, regulatory and economic environment. With more than 3,000 employees located in most major business centers in the world, we work closely with clients every day to anticipate, illuminate, and overcome complex business challenges in areas such as investigations, litigation, mergers and acquisitions, regulatory issues, reputation management and restructuring. More information can be found at www.fticonsulting.com.
Safe Harbor Statement
This press release may include "forward-looking statements” within the meaning of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 that involve uncertainties and risks. Forward-looking statements include statements concerning our plans, objectives, goals, strategies, future events, future revenues, future results and performance, expectations, plans or intentions relating to acquisitions and other matters, business trends and other information that is not historical, including statements regarding estimates of our future financial results. When used in this press release, words such as “estimates,” “expects,” “anticipates,” “projects,” “plans,” “intends,” “believes,” “forecasts” and variations of such words or similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. All forward-looking statements, including, without limitation, estimates of our future financial results, are based upon our expectations at the time we make them and various assumptions. Our expectations, beliefs and projections are expressed in good faith, and we believe there is a reasonable basis for them. However, there can be no assurance that management’s expectations, beliefs and projections will result or be achieved or that actual results will not differ from expectations. The Company has experienced fluctuating revenue, operating income and cash flow in some prior periods and expects this will occur from time to time in the future. Other factors that could cause such differences include the pace and timing of the consummation and integration of past and future acquisitions, the Company's ability to realize cost savings and efficiencies, competitive and general economic conditions, retention of staff and clients and other risks described under the heading “Item 1A. Risk Factors” in the Company’s most recent Form 10-K and in the Company's other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. We are under no duty to update any of the forward-looking statements to conform such statements to actual results or events and do not intend to do so.
FTI, Ringtail, Attenex and Patterns are registered trademarks of FTI Consulting, Inc. or a subsidiary.
Any other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.